What Should You Look For in LASIK Surgeons?Author: Dr. William Tullo
May 13, 2016
LASIK eye surgery is a proven procedure with a long track record of promising results, but choosing the right LASIK surgeon is still an important part of the process. In addition to performing your LASIK surgery, your surgeon and their staff will answer your questions about laser eye surgery, help you prepare for your procedure, and monitor your recovery after your LASIK eye surgery has been completed.
Your choice of surgeon is a big decision, but it's not one that you have to make alone. The traits that make a great surgeon have been firmly established based on the millions of LASIK surgeries that have been performed over the years.
How to Choose the Right LASIK Surgeon for Your Needs
The best place to find your surgeon is at a LASIK center that specializes in laser eye surgery. At a LASIK center, surgeons spend every working day performing laser eye surgery, and accumulating all of the benefits that come with experience. Your local LASIK center handles the entire laser eye surgery process, from your initial evaluation to aftercare.
- Experience – Look for a surgeon that specializes in laser eye surgery, with a solid track record of results. There's simply no substitute for experience, and the best LASIK surgeons have plenty of it. While there's no “magic number” of procedures performed to look for, experience provides an easy point of comparison when making your decision.
- Technology – Does your LASIK surgeon offer the latest laser eye surgery technology? You'll want a surgeon who offers the latest LASIK technology. You can find more information about the options available by visiting LASIK surgeon’s’ websites.
- Communication – Your eye health is important to you, and it should be important to your surgeon, too. Just as with any medical procedure, you're sure to have questions during the laser eye surgery screening process. Look for a LASIK surgeon that communicates well, answers your questions, and makes sure you understand the answers before proceeding. Your surgeon's staff can also be quite helpful in this regard.
- Certification – Be sure that your surgeon is board certified, and licensed to perform LASIK eye surgery in your state or province. This is a simple step, but one that shouldn't be overlooked. Licensing shows that your surgeon has obtained the requisite skills and education to perform laser eye surgery.
- Word of Mouth – LASIK is a very popular procedure, so there's a good chance you know someone who has already had laser eye surgery in your area. Don't be afraid to ask for a referral! You'll still want to research all of the topics we mentioned above, but a first-hand recommendation from a trusted source has major value.
If you're having trouble finding the information you need to make a decision, start by browsing LASIK providers in our online directory. Most LASIK surgeons include a page that details their experience, along with pages for information about the LASIK technology available for your surgery.
Once you've identified a surgeon that fits your needs, your free LASIK evaluation provides the perfect opportunity to learn more about your LASIK surgeon and their staff before making your final decision. There's nothing like the freedom that comes with LASIK, and it all starts with choosing the right surgeon.