How LASIK Can Help People With Contact Lens IntoleranceAuthor: Dr. William Tullo
December 12, 2018
Many with vision problems seek an alternative to the daily drawbacks that come with wearing glasses, so they’ve opted for contact lenses as their alternative solution.
However, contacts may come with their own set of issues, from the extensive daily maintenance required to the risk of contact lens intolerance. Contact lens intolerance can make it difficult or impossible to wear contact lenses, but there may be another solution for people with vision problems.
LASIK eye surgery is a popular procedure for addressing common vision problems, and may be a potential alternative for those who suffer from contact lens intolerance.
Learn More about Contact Lens Intolerance and the Benefits of LASIK Eye Surgery
According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, approximately 37 million people in the United States wear contact lenses. Contact lens wearers can vary widely in age, background, and vision health. Among that group of contact lens wearers, a percentage may experience contact lens intolerance, which can cause potentially severe reactions to contact lenses.
- Causes of Contact Lens Intolerance – The potential causes of contact lens intolerance are wide-ranging, and vary by individual. Contact lens intolerance can be caused by workplace environment, lifestyle choices, chronic dry eye, poor-fitting contact lenses, lack of contact lens maintenance and care, allergies, and certain health problems.
- Symptoms of Contact Lens Intolerance – People with contact lens intolerance may experience a variety of unpleasant symptoms, including dryness, itchiness, redness, irritation, corneal abrasions, and corneal ulcers. Contact lens intolerance can also make it very painful to apply contact lenses.
- The Importance of Annual Eye Exams – An annual visit to your eye doctor is a key step in uncovering contact lens intolerance, and learning about your options for dealing with issues caused by contact lenses. Your annual exam is also a great opportunity to ask your eye doctor about the benefits of LASIK eye surgery, and whether the procedure is the right fit for you.
- Consider LASIK Surgery – If contact lens intolerance is making every day feel like a struggle, know that there are other solutions than contacts for addressing vision problems. LASIK eye surgery is an option to address common problems like nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. Laser eye surgery may help you rely less on vision correction devices like contact lenses, which is good news if you're suffering from contact lens intolerance.
- Learn about LASIK Candidacy – As with any medical procedure, it's important to discuss LASIK eye surgery with your doctor to learn more about how the procedure may fit your vision health needs. If you are at least 18 years of age, with good overall health and a steady vision prescription for at least one year, then you're off to a great start.
- LASIK and Lifestyle Freedoms – Even if you're not dealing with contact lens intolerance, you may be tired of the way that glasses and contacts interfere with your ability to enjoy your favorite activities. LASIK surgery may help you get back to enjoying what you love most, without worrying about your glasses or contacts.