How Can I Pay for LASIK Eye Surgery?April 6, 2017
The cost of LASIK eye surgery depends on a variety of factors, including the type of LASIK surgery being performed. While LASIK is not typically covered by insurance, there are quite a few options for financing your laser eye surgery. Ahead, we'll cover some of the popular options for LASIK financing, along with one lesser-known option that can be very handy if you're financing your surgery around tax time.
How to Afford LASIK: Simple Tips for Covering the Cost of LASIK Eye Surgery
- Health Savings Account / Flexible Spending Account – A Health Savings Account (HSA) is a tax-advantaged medical savings account that may be offered through your employer which can be used to pay for any qualified medical expense, including LASIK. Similarly, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is a tax-advantaged savings account that may be offered by your employer that allows you to put money into an account to pay for certain out-of-pocket health care costs, including LASIK. If you have questions about these offerings, speak with your benefits provider, so when you are ready for LASIK surgery, HSA or FSA funds may be a viable savings option.
- CareCredit – A unique financing option, CareCredit is a healthcare credit card that can be used to cover medical expenses, including LASIK eye surgery. Choosing CareCredit for LASIK financing allows you to pay in monthly increments, rather than one lump sum. The card is designed specifically with medical costs in mind, and the application process is similar to what you will find with most major credit cards.
- Tax Refund – Who doesn't enjoy getting a refund check in the mail around tax time? All the better when you can put those funds toward paying for your LASIK surgery. It's especially handy during the spring months but you can always set your refund aside in savings if you are planning your procedure during a different time of the year.
- Personal Financing – This is the catch-all category for financing that comes from your own pocket, and there are many options available. Using funds from your checking or savings accounts is the simplest choice, and you can also use credit/debit cards, funds that come from gifts, an inheritance, side-work, or even that big jug of coins you've been saving for a rainy day. If you're planning to have LASIK in the future, setting those extra infusions of cash aside in savings can go a long way toward covering the procedure when the time is right.
- Insurance/Group Discounts – Some LASIK companies work with insuranceproviders and certain large employers to provide LASIK discounts to their employees. Ask your benefits manager if a LASIK discount is available through your insurance or company benefits plan.
While you're busy finding the right financing mix for your LASIK eye surgery, remember that there are many helpful resources available. The LASIK.com Cost Calculator allows you to calculate an estimated monthly payment for LASIK financing based on the cost of your procedure and your preferred financing options. There are many ways to cover the cost of LASIK surgery, and your vision health is more than worth the effort.